Nov 20, 2011

What's next after the Chinggis Khan adventure

Most of you know that I did not go back to my volunteering in UlaanBaatar. Though I miss my Genghis friends and the snow, I am thankful that I'm staying home for now. A few weeks ago, I have enrolled to continue my MS Epi classes.Eight more units of electives and two core subjects ( Clinical Epidemiology, Seminars) and I'll be venturing into my thesis ( with fingers crossed so I can beat my 5 year MRR).

Things were different now especially that PGH is not paying for my graduate studies anymore.Before, I was used to only pay P1,099.50 for 6 units at reduced fees instead of P10,500 for the same number of units. Now, I am realizing the perks of being employed in PGH but I am quite sure that I won't go back to the hustle of being an everyday routine nurse for now.

What's next after Mongolia? First, I need to re-tune my brain again to Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Last week, I sat down in a Rothman-centered epidemiology class and I admit that I was clueless with the incidence rates and proportions. It seems that my research skills and epidemiology knowledge went to the closet during my stay in Mongolia. Although, I wanted to enroll in one PHPE class on public health training, my adviser did not allow me to do so. So now, I am stuck with one epidemiology class and three biostatistics electives.

My career transition from a clinical to a public health practitioner is much more apparent now than when I started my work in Mongolia. Now, I am surrounded not by syringes, infusion pumps and mechanical ventilators but with codes (0-1) doing a statistical consultation  and a number of tasks in my new temporary position.Things are peaking up quite fast and I am grateful that I had been taken out of my month long inertia.

Spreadsheet for Buison's Retrospective Study using STATA 11

Share This!