Feb 14, 2012

Defining Love in Equations

On my way to AIM Makati, flower stalls at the streets reminded  me that today is that day of the year when people tend to feel a little more love. While everyone is wearing flashy reds and carrying a bouquet of flowers or two, I, in my favorite "gray-black-gray" work ensemble surmised that today is just any other day. I am not a Valentine grinch but I believe that if we just carry the same "depth and breadth" of love everyday then Valentine's day is all year round.

Three years ago, I remembered that most of my blog posts (Conversations with LoveYet another untold short story) were written out of desperation and exasperation of being in a relationship. It is that one area in my life that I would always put first in my prayers and would incessantly pester God on my whims in finding a partner. But God has changed my attitude... He has changed my heart. He pulled my sight to Him and showed me the only source of True Love. So when I looked up to Him on one eventful night in March 2009, Chris was His gift wrapped in all the shooting stars.

Spending enduring hours listening to Joe D' Mango's radio program since high school or watching a million and one romance movies does not give me the authority that I am a love guru. I, at times, forget how to act with love and feel more love. But since today is "Heart's Day", I am inspired to describe how love works in me through mathematical equations and with the assumption that "loving" is not limited only to a partner.

Love is "x+y" wherein x is that "strong compelling emotion we feel for other people" and y is "acting the emotion out". We cannot, at all means, say that we love a person when we only "feel" and not show how special that other person is. We cannot also claim that we love our work when we feel overburdened with additional documents to file or  even say that we love our lives when we have a thousand and one vices.

Love is x(y+z) where x is "acting out love" and y and z is any individual entity. The equation describes how love should be distributive- meaning the feeling that we show to one person should be the same feeling distributed to people across educational attainment, gender, economic status, religion, culture, race and any other social boundaries. We cannot declare we love our families if we disgust a certain marginal population in our society.

Love equals a of f=ma wherein a is velocity/ time. This equation is adopted from one of my conversations with a close friend where we both describe that love is affected entirely by velocity over time such that there will come a point where the "emotion love" changes over time and a situation where "the emotion love" will itself be towards another direction. This only proves that the "emotion love" is fleeting and ephemeral unless it is grounded with commitment.

Love can be based in Lewis inequality for natural process (ΔG < 0) wherein change will occur spontaneously if  there is useful energy in the system. In love, we do not array all the negative qualities of our partner and try to change our partner to suit our own palate. We should not have the notion that if we do this and that, he/she will eventually change for me. The truest kind of love is when in spite of all the negative qualities in that other person, we still accept him/her and "do not keep a record of wrongs." 

It is true that love is a many splendored thing and even if I exhaust all the mathematical equations I know of, I can not fully describe love in its entirety. This is just a simple attempt of creating ripples on how love should be a day to day basis-- for all we know love is the only thing that keeps us alive and sane.

Share This!