Oct 30, 2012

The nth Midlife Crisis


I have been marching in and out of this desolated awareness of what should have been and where to go-s.  And unconsciously, I am creating a lost version of myself underneath the opened Word documents with nothing but a series of blinking cursors and random songs from Mayday Parade’s.

I have never realized until now that this thriving soul is seeking the stroke of a paper and that these throbbing fingers long for the touch of a pen. Indeed it had been too long and I nearly forgot how to breathe into the spaces of my own respite. I am yearning for long conversations with my pen and paper and as I strung words and meanings, I found myself in this state…

People call this a mid-life crisis.  I call this my nth mid-life crisis- the nth time where I have to re-think what I should have been and where I should have gone. As I searched for that idealist and brave self that had once stared at me in the mirror, I found nothing but this lost self pulled back on step one.

I have never realized how time would fly so fast while I am catching my own fireflies in the cheating daylight. And as they say, what matters are not the fireflies but how I caught them.What matters most are not the lost hopes and dreams but the lessons I got from the thousand failures.

Every decision in the past had struck me in whim and caprice. Right and wrong but mainly indecision had hauled me into this drowning wall and out of my once effervescence.

At 16: “Nursing is what my grandmother wants.”
At 20: “I don’t know what I want to do but going to USA is something I do not want”
At 22: “ I want this because it makes me feel good.”
At 25: “ I do not want to do this anymore. Get me out of here.”
At 27: “Is this really what I want?”

Every time I am haunted by this mid-life crisis, I go back to my purpose; I go back to His purpose- that insignificantly significant question:

 “Is this what I am made for?”; “Is this what He has called me for?”

Then it hits me. Often I found myself walking towards the deception of a midlife crisis because I was asking the wrong question of whether this is what I really want for myself.  

 I am unsure of what the future brings but one thing is certain- that there will still be nth midlife crisis in the future. And that I will be compelled to think that I should have been in a rather easier place if only I have decided otherwise.

The funny truth is “what I want” turns out not to be the compelling solution to my million and one midlife dilemmas- but “what He wants”.

Share This!