Jan 6, 2013

My 12 Favorite Moments of 2012


2012 was a flourishing year of learning and unlearning.

In 12 months, I had divulged into family planning integration, lowering maternal mortality rate, principal component analysis, shared decision making, educational barriers of children with disabilities, deworming, school health and nutrition and Q Methodology.

If I could put a tag line for 2012, “Neuron overstimulation” would be a perfect description.

It was indeed a busy year for me. My overlapping responsibilities and lack of time had resulted to intrapersonal and interpersonal neglect, failed promises and disappointments.

But New Year begets starting again and starting new; and to continue my tradition of gratitude post every first month of the year, here are my 12 favorite moments of 2012.

12. Playing Monopoly Philippines

Monopoly- The Philippine Edition
This monopoly set has kept my boredom levels low during the monsoon days when we were prevented from going out because of the infamous Espana hip level floods. This definitely deserves a spot because every time we played it, I am always amused how our apartment building’s caretaker would always scream at us because we were too loud and disruptive to defend our imaginary real estate properties.


11. Backpack Travelling

I had a lot of backpack travelling last year because of work. 2012 brought me first to Cagayan Valley, Tuguegarao City, Tarlac, Tagaytay City and Albay of Luzon, Misamis Occidental, Agusan del Sur, Cagayan de Oro, General Santos City, Koronadal City, South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat in Mindanao.

Callao Cave in Tuguegarao City with Healthgov's Travel Buddies

My 2012 travelling had only heightened my enthusiasm to conquer all 7,107 islands of the country and splurge into the obsession of discovering how tricycles differ in each place that I had been to.

Of the places I had been last year, this city undeniably deserves a separate recognition.

10. Marbel City

Everything about Marbel is beyond doubt a sealed memory. I remembered hearing wonderful stories from my college friends about it but finally seeing and living on it only proves how underrated their stories were. It was a typical city in Mindanao, much smaller than Cagayan de Oro or General Santos but it felt like Marbel was a second home for me.

From their satisfying Nadie’s “inasal” and homey dining at Basilio’s, their Ilonggo language to afternoon walking delights, I am definitely looking forward to more escapades to Marbel this year.
My favorite hideout at Basilio's, Marbel City

9. Madison Kaye

My youngest cousin, MK as we fondly call her always delights me every time I go back home in San Antonio, Zambales. It surprises me how in a short period of time a 3 year old can acquire so much talent for her age: masters the hula-hoops in less than a year, spells out her name, delightfully dances the Gangnam style and sings a Zambal song.

8. AusAID disability project

Survey Forms and Friends at Shakey's UST
It was mid last year when I was contracted as a consultant for AusAID to coordinate the survey implementation in Region III and some areas in Metro Manila.
This project was one of my unforgettable moments in 2012 because of my weekend pig-outs with the survey enumerators, training 2 data encoders who are deaf and mute and learning how to navigate through CS Pro.
  


7. All You Can Eat Chicken at Max’s with La Familia

One thing I neglected in 2012 was spending less time with my closest “happy” friends. So, when we finally caught up in a night devouring all you can eat Max’s chicken, I could not help but put this memory in my list where I indulged my friends’ unlimited funny stories and teases of Suzie.
With my best friends Jerry, Jesse, Randelle and Chris

6. The MARS Ambassadors

Around October to November 2012, my project team hosted two amazing MARS Ambassadors from the U.S and the Land Down Under. Ms. Jocie and Leanne both stayed in the country to help out with our project under the MARS Ambassador Program. And it was during their one month stay that I have had the funniest and lightest days at work. Their energy and dedication was very contagious and I am very lucky to have met them.
With Ms. Jocie, Leanne and the Ripley Ladies at Dampa, Pasay City


5.  Balikbayans Suzie and Jo-Anne

There’s nothing more heartwarming than my special moments with my two best friends Suzie and Jo-Anne who are now living in Singapore and UK, respectively. It was these moments that I realized how distance can never take away years of precious friendship.

4. FEFEL moments

A considerable amount of my 2012 was spent grueling over unjustifiable school and work load. But what makes it less revolting were my FEFEL or “Fesbuk Fesbuk Lang” Moments with my grad school friends, Kat, Angel, Venus and Hiyas. It was our daily routine that in spite of the busy work schedules, we could still fit an hour or so of headshot bullying or unnecessary complaining over work.
FEFEL with the ACADS


3. Adult Life in an Investment

It was risky but definitely a good 12 month investment ride. Buying a condo unit, having it rented, sorting out leaky water pipes, lost keys, purchasing doors and knobs, paints, drafting a lease contract and having it signed and notarized, paying towering bills on time and dealing with our tenants  made my 2012 more adult living.
Our special 3 bedroom crib


2. Loving the Hustle (not Hassle) of Work

There’s nothing more assuring in life than to learn that everything happens for a reason or a destined purpose. And there’s nothing else sweeter than saying I am happy where I am working at now in spite of the countless mid life crises I have had last year.


Of the projects I had last year, working as the M&E Officer for a school health and nutrition project is my favorite (not because I fear that my managers would kick me out once they find out that I write negatively of my present job). But what makes me love it more is not the recognition but how I am given an opportunity to learn, try new things, fail, try again and succeed.
During the Storytelling Sessions for the MARS Volunteers Month



1. Monitoring Visits in Mindanao

The best days of my 2012 were the days I visited some partner schools in South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat and realized that if I took that chance of migrating to US 6 years ago, I would not have this rare opportunity to understand why I am still staying in the country.

I may not foretell where I will be this year or the coming years but as long as I am still called here, I would try my best to be God's instrument in making a difference in the lives of the children who have no access to water or electricity.
In wide smiles while having their recess period.

Cogon/ Nipa schools in the uplands.


But surpassing these 12 favorite moments is how I am always thankful to the Lord who intricately orchestrated tiny significant days in my 2012 which pave the way for a new and better 2013.

Share This!